Woman says landlord neglectful in Mount Hope fire

A Mount Hope woman who lost all she owned in a fire says she repeatedly complained about electrical problems in her apartment.Tracy Woodall says when

MOUNT HOPE - A Mount Hope woman who lost all she owned in a fire says she repeatedly complained about electrical problems in her apartment.

Tracy Woodall says when she returned to her Prospect Avenue apartment after dropping her kids at school Dec. 5, a blaze had ripped through her belongings. Woodall says the Red Cross gave her and her children shelter for a few days, but then she ran out of options.

"I called ? they told me my landlord is responsible for putting us up," Woodall says.

The building's management, Prospect Union Associates, allowed the family to live in an apartment next door to theirs. But Woodall says a conversation she had with a fire marshal is what concerned her most.

According to Woodall, the fire marshal said the fire started in her stove, which she had been complaining about for months. Woodall says she also told management about a leaky ceiling that was hovering over electrical outlets.

Woodall says she plans to sue her landlord for negligence and property damage.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Videos from inside the halls and classrooms of 1 Videos capture violent fights inside M.S. 232
A look at the highlights of the 2017 2 Highlights from the 2017 People's Choice Awards
News 12 The Bronx asked residents what they 3 Word on the Street: Inauguration Day
The Buzz: Bronx 3-month old dies after alleged 4 The Buzz: Bronx 3-month old dies after alleged abuse
VIDEO: Nonprofit opens food pantry at East Bronx 5 VIDEO: Nonprofit opens food pantry at East Bronx Academy

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE