THROGGS NECK - School administrators at Monsignor Scanlan High School have been working around the clock to resume classes this week after a fire ripped through the premises.
Officials say the three-alarm fire started in the boiler room and extended to the church area of the Throggs Neck school after 6 p.m. They say three firefighters were injured.
School administrators, including Principal Dr. Patrick McGuire were on-site Saturday to assess the damage and determine if the school can open. They say a portable heating system will be brought in due to the damage in the boiler room.
Authorities say that the damage has been confined to the chapel and science labs.
A school coach says there were no students in the 5-story building at the time.
The school says it will continue to keep students and parents informed about whether classes will resume on Tuesday.