10 injured in East 202nd Street apartment fire in Bedford Park

At least 10 people were injured and a dog was killed after a large fire ripped through a Bronx apartment building Thursday, officials say.



It happened on East 202nd Street near Valentine Avenue in Bedford Park after 2 a.m.



Officials say at least three firefighters and a 17-month-old girl were among the 10 injured. Two firefighters suffered minor injuries while one suffered more serious injuries, according to officials. 



At least three families lost their homes in the fire and a dog was killed, neighbors say.



A man also jumped from a window and landed on a car below in order to escape the fire. 



Officials say the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction from a bedroom air conditioner unit.



The building did not have working smoke alarms.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."