Event held to teach families about fire safety
Community members came together at the Riverdale Jewish Center in the Bronx Sunday to promote fire safety.
The second annual Health and Safety Awareness Day was created after a 2015 house fire in Brooklyn that killed seven siblings.
Authorities believe the fire that shattered a Jewish community was sparked by a hot plate that was left on for the Sabbath.
Firefighters at this year's event were teaching kids what to do if they're ever trapped in a home during a fire. Organizers say there was even a mock fire for participants to practice what to do if they are ever confronted with the real thing.
"Basically what we stress is to keep your hand on a wall because all walls lead to windows and doors," says firefighter Joseph Delligatti.
Firefighters say one of the most important things to do when trying to escape a burning building is to stay low because smoke rises.
They also advise every family to have an escape plan and to change the batteries in their smoke alarms.