Soundview fire displaces mom, 3 kids
A fire on Boynton Avenue Thursday displaced a mother and her three children.
Regina Harvin, who lived in a shelter apartment at 1056 Boynton Ave. with her 11-year-old twin sons and 13-year-old daughter, says she no longer has anywhere to call home.
The fire broke out in the apartment around 4:30 p.m., she says. Some neighbors claim the building does not have any working smoke detectors, but others say it does.
The FDNY did not immediately identify a cause of the fire, but Harvin says somehow something caught on fire near the oven. When she smelled it, she says she ran out with the kids.
The building is owned by Aguila Inc., a shelter that offers transitional housing. The Red Cross arrived on scene to assist but says the family had made relocation arrangements.