NYCHA tenant says she went 2 months without heat

A 72-year-old Bronx woman says two months without heat in her NYCHA apartment led to her hospitalization when a pipe finally burst on New Year's Eve.



Nilda Rivera, who lives in the Twin Parks East apartments, says she spent Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve without working heat.



She relied on a portable heater, wearing coats indoors and using her stove for heat -- which is widely known to be dangerous.



"I had to put the oven on," she says. "But they told me don't sleep with it on."



Rivera says a pipe burst on New Year's Eve in her living room, spewing steam and hot water. It ruined her furniture, melted some of her medications and led to her hospitalization.



NYCHA says it fixed the broken pipe and that there is heat available in both Rivera's apartment and the rest of the building.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."