Gov. Cuomo pledges $10M toward Orchard Beach Pavilion
Gov. Andrew Cuomo pledged to put $10 million into renovating the shuttered Orchard Beach Pavilion, but that may not be enough to get work going.
The money, announced Monday in one of Cuomo's six State of the State addresses this year, is part of a budget proposal the governor plans to submit to state lawmakers in mid-January.
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. says the renovations would likely rebuild the area from the ground up. But work would need millions of additional dollars on top of the governor's pledge.
In addition to the governor's $10 million, Diaz helped secure another $10 million toward the project last year. Along with other funding, Diaz says there is $30 million available of the estimated $47 million for the complete renovation.
The money would finance the first renovation at the pavilion since the 1930s, when it opened. Back then, the pavilion bustled with businesses and restaurants. But decades of wear and tear led to its closure.
"It definitely means a lot to us," says Bronx resident Eddie Bunge. "We go to Orchard Beach constantly in the summer. It's the Bronx's only nice beach. We deserve it."