FDNY: Malfunctioning baler sparked recycling fire

An equipment malfunction sparked the massive fire at the Triboro Fibers recycling plant in Port Morris Wednesday, investigators say.



Triboro reopened Thursday, a day after the fire, although the scent of smoke and ash still lingered around the facility.



According to the FDNY, a machine used to compress recyclable and waste materials into small bales malfunctioned.



The fire sparked around 1 a.m. Wednesday, when four workers were inside the building. They made it out OK, but two firefighters suffered minor injuries.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."