Experts offer space heater safety tips

After broken wiring to a space heater caused a large apartment fire in Beaumont Monday, experts are sharing tips residents can use to more safely use similar appliances.



Kenneth Nunez, the manager of NHS Hardware in Wakefield, says people should place space heaters on level ground away from anything flammable, like cloth items.



He also says space heaters should not be connected to extension cords. The FDNY blames a damaged extension cord connected to the space heater in Beaumont for that fire.



"Never connect an extension cord to a space heater because the current is too strong for the actual space heater," Nunez says.



He also recommends using an outlet that has nothing else connected to it and purchasing a space heater that is large enough that it won't tip over.



The FDNY also says residents should not use space heaters in bathrooms or near water. 



Fire officials also say residents should only buy space heaters marked with the UL symbol, for the Underwriters Laboratories.



Lastly, experts say parents should not leave children or pets unattended in rooms with space heaters.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."