7 injured in Mott Haven fire

Seven people were injured in a fire at the Mitchel Houses in Mott Haven Sunday morning.



Officials say a burning mattress in the ninth floor hallway of 225 Willis Ave. led to several units being damaged at around 1 a.m. It is not yet clear how the mattress caught fire.



The flames were under control just before 3 a.m., according to authorities.



Elevator service in the building has been shut off and the stairs leading up to the ninth floor are covered in water.



Cindy Hurtado and her family live on the 17th floor. She says her family was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital for smoke inhalation.



Fire officials say seven people in total were taken to St. Barnabas, also for smoke inhalation.



A NYCHA spokesperson says that residents are being let back into their apartments. There is no word on whether the ninth floor is still closed to tenants.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."