62-year-old man released from St. Barnabas hospital 1 week after being attack by pit bulls

A Brooklyn man who was viciously attacked by two pit bulls in the Bronx last week is now out of the hospital.



Police say two pit bulls owned by Cynthia Oliver attacked 62-year-old Francesco Bove outside the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church last Friday, ripping his right ear off and taking out chunks of his left arm. Oliver was subsequently charged with assault and reckless endangerment.



Not even one hour after Bove was released from St. Barnabas Hospital following a weeklong stay, he was back at the scene of the incident. Neighbors who saw the attack greeted Bove upon his return to the neighborhood, happy that he survived attack. Bove says he now carries a knife to protect himself.



Both dogs are being monitored by Animal Care and Control. There is no word on if they will be euthanized, but even after the attack, Bove says he wants to see the dogs free.



"Those dogs need to be trained. I love animals and I feel very sorry about it," says Bove.



Bove says he doesn't expect to go back to work at his son's construction company for at least three months. In the meantime, he says his ex-wife, son and nephew will care for him.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."