Officials offer tips to avoid CO poisoning

Officials are warning drivers of safety risks after the major snowstorm this weekend left cars buried in snow and at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.



The colorless, odorless gas can cause people who inhale it to lose consciousness and then die within a few minutes.



When snow or other obstructions block a car's exhaust pipe, the carbon monoxide can leak upward and harm anyone sitting inside an idling car.



Officials say drivers should make sure the rear end of their cars are clear of snow before turning on the engine.



Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, vomiting, confusion and weakness, according to health experts.



Officials also recommend routine auto maintenance to make sure exhaust systems are free from leaks.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."