Officials offer tips to avoid CO poisoning
Officials are warning drivers of safety risks after the major snowstorm this weekend left cars buried in snow and at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The colorless, odorless gas can cause people who inhale it to lose consciousness and then die within a few minutes.
When snow or other obstructions block a car's exhaust pipe, the carbon monoxide can leak upward and harm anyone sitting inside an idling car.
Officials say drivers should make sure the rear end of their cars are clear of snow before turning on the engine.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, vomiting, confusion and weakness, according to health experts.
Officials also recommend routine auto maintenance to make sure exhaust systems are free from leaks.