Fire destroys storage unit in Mott Haven

Firefighters worked tirelessly to put out a fire that burned for over 12 hours at a storage unit in Mott Haven Sunday.



Officials say the flames sparked around 12:30 a.m. inside Tuck-It-Away Self-Storage on Walton Avenue.



The fire destroyed the six-story building, but firefighters were able to prevent it from spreading to a next-door gas station.



Firefighters say that at the height of the fire, over 100 firefighters were working on putting out the flames.



News 12 spoke with unit renters who were devastated.



They say they have not been contacted by the facility and they are not sure how much if at all their insurance will cover for their belongings.



Fire officials say that two firefighters suffered minor injuries and were taken to Jacobi Medical Center. 


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."