Mayor Bill de Blasio announces executive budget for 2018 fiscal year

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced his executive budget Wednesday for the 2018 fiscal year. Mayor Bill de Blasio announced his executive budget Wednesday for the 2018 fiscal year.
NEW YORK -

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced his executive budget Wednesday for the 2018 fiscal year.

It would allocate almost $2 billion for affordable housing improvements like increasing the number of affordable units by 10,000. The affordable designation accommodates families earning less than $40,000 a year.

It also calls for renovating 30 existing homeless shelters with $300 million in capital funding. Another $120 million would go toward repairing NYCHA buildings, specifically their facades and rooftops. That's in addition to the $1 billion in NYCHA improvements already committed this year.

Another $36 million investment would go toward realizing the mayor's plan to offer free, full-day pre-school for every 3-year-old in the city.

A $16.4 million legal fund would pay for representation for immigrant New Yorkers facing deportation and other immigration challenges.

In the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island, $720,000 would go toward expanding the ShotSpotter program, which helps police pinpoint locations of gunfire.

During the announcement, the mayor also addressed concerns about uncertainty surrounding federal funding under President Donald Trump, who is from New York. The mayor says that the city has financial reserves at historic highs, but a major focus will be on finding savings, including a hiring freeze in some city agencies.

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • Trump says it anew: blame 'on both sides' in Charlottesville

    Trump says it anew: blame 'on both sides' in Charlottesville

    Tuesday, August 15 2017 4:54 PM EDT2017-08-15 20:54:25 GMT
    Tuesday, August 15 2017 4:57 PM EDT2017-08-15 20:57:17 GMT

    President Donald Trump returned insistently Tuesday to his assessment that "there is blame on both sides" after being roundly criticized for such comments following the deadly violence last weekend in Charlottesville, Virginia.

    President Donald Trump returned insistently Tuesday to his assessment that "there is blame on both sides" after being roundly criticized for such comments following the deadly violence last weekend in Charlottesville, Virginia.

  • White House scrambles to explain Trump's response to clashes

    White House scrambles to explain Trump's response to clashes

    Sunday, August 13 2017 10:34 AM EDT2017-08-13 14:34:06 GMT
    Sunday, August 13 2017 7:46 PM EDT2017-08-13 23:46:49 GMT

    The White House scrambled Sunday to elaborate on President Donald Trump's response to deadly, race-fueled clashes in Charlottesville, Virginia, as he came under bipartisan scolding for not clearly condemning white supremacists and other hate groups immediately after the altercations.

    The White House scrambled Sunday to elaborate on President Donald Trump's response to deadly, race-fueled clashes in Charlottesville, Virginia, as he came under bipartisan scolding for not clearly condemning white supremacists and other hate groups immediately after the altercations.

  • AP source: Mueller using grand jury in DC in Russia probe

    AP source: Mueller using grand jury in DC in Russia probe

    Thursday, August 3 2017 7:16 PM EDT2017-08-03 23:16:35 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - Senators introduced two bipartisan bills Thursday aimed at protecting Special Counsel Robert Mueller from being fired by President Donald Trump as both parties signaled resistance to any White House effort to derail the investigation into Russian meddling in last year's election.

    WASHINGTON (AP) - Senators introduced two bipartisan bills Thursday aimed at protecting Special Counsel Robert Mueller from being fired by President Donald Trump as both parties signaled resistance to any White House effort to derail the investigation into Russian meddling in last year's election.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."