11-year-old burned at sleepover returns home

Posted: Updated:
MORRISANIA -

An 11-year-old girl who was severely burned in Morrisania has been released from the hospital.

Ebony Merritt posted photos of her daughter, Jamoneisha Merritt, on Facebook Friday to celebrate her daughter's recovery.

Jamoneisha was at a sleepover at a friend's house on Findlay Avenue. While she was sleeping, Jamoneisha woke up to boiling water being poured all over her. She was left with second-degree burns on her face and shoulders.

The burn victim's mother said that her daughter is feeling better.

"She's doing much better, she's in good spirits, she saw her face, she is OK with it," Ebony said. "You know she's still traumatized, but she is doing better than what I thought she would do."

Jamoneisha's family says they are grateful for all the support they have received.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."