Tenants remain displaced after 5-alarm fire on Walton Avenue

Posted: Updated:
THE BRONX -

A five-alarm fire tore through a home in the Mount Hope section of the Bronx Wednesday, leaving every tenant in the building displaced.

Residents of the Walton Avenue building say they are hopeful they will return to their homes soon following the fire that damaged apartments on the top floors.

Resident Jose Camora says he woke up to the flames and smoke.

"I woke up and I saw a lot of smoke. I was coughing, so I opened the door to see what was going on and I saw everybody in the building saying there was a fire, but I didn't hear an alarm," says Camora.

Camora says he then knocked on other doors, letting people know to get out.

His sixth floor apartment is one of the affected units.

The Red Cross was on the scene Wednesday assisting families. They tell News 12 that they have helped 41 families, 89 adults and 44 children.

Fire officials say the cause of the fire was accidental due to electrical wiring in the building's ceiling.

Many tenants have been allowed back into the building to grab necessities.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."