Throgs Neck man injured in hit-and-run working to recoverPosted: Updated:
A Bronx man who was seriously injured in a hit-and-run earlier this year is working hard at recovery.
Jared D'Amico, 28, is back at home in Throgs Neck now. But a quick trip outside back on Feb. 11 landed him in the ICU at NYC Health + Hospitals/Jacobi. He was walking near East Tremont and Miles avenues when he was struck by a car that left the scene.
"Doesn't even stop -- sends somebody flying and doesn't even want to stop or nothing," D'Amico says. "Thank God for the woman who saw me."
D’Amico is unable to remember the trauma of being hit, but the pain from his injuries is still fresh. He says he suffered broken leg bones, vertebrae and ribs and also had hemorrhaging in his brain.
Now, three months since the accident, D'Amico has been going to rehab and taking small steps to get back to the life he once had. He uses a walker to get around.
"They say I'll never be the same and stuff," he says. "But at least I am looking forward to be able to move around like I normally did, and not have this walker anymore."
As police continue to search for a suspect in the case, D'Amico has a message for the driver.
"I hope he gets what’s coming to him, because of what he did," he says.
- Authorities say a person of interest in the Manhattan rice cooker scare that snarled Friday’s commute was taken into custody in the Bronx and then hospitalized this morning.
- Eliot Spitzer, the former governor of New York, sat down with News 12's Tara Rosenblum to discuss everything from politics to his personal life.
- NYPD members and loved ones said their final goodbyes Saturday to an NYPD officer that died from apparent suicide.NYPD members and loved ones said their final goodbyes Saturday to an NYPD officer that died from apparent suicide.
- The Dow notched an 800 point loss on Wednesday -- about 3%, marking its biggest decline of the year.The Dow notched an 800 point loss on Wednesday -- about 3%, marking its biggest decline of the year.
- Officials say two people were injured in a fire at a three-story building in Wakefield early Saturday morning.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
News 12 The Bronx wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBX.
- Here is the 2019 lineup for SummerStage in Central Park.Here is the 2019 lineup for SummerStage in Central Park.
- Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.