Mother of boy struck & killed by MTA bus in 2018: 'It's like a nightmare that wouldn't end'

Posted: Updated:
EAST FLATBUSH -

Sunday marked the anniversary of the death of a 7-year-old Brooklyn boy who was struck and killed by a city bus in the Bronx in 2018.

Shavone Bethea Jr. was hit and killed by an MTA bus while visiting his father in the Bronx.

His mother, Nickiya Willington says the wound is still fresh, and she can't get the closure she longs for.

"It's like a nightmare that wouldn't end," she says.

MORE:  Police: 7-year-old fatally struck by MTA bus 

Willington says his case is still open and pending, and that she only received the autopsy report last week - nearly a year since his death.

"If he didn't go under the bus and the bus did not roll over him, why does he still have all that trauma to his body? It's not making sense," she says.

On Sunday, Shavone's family and friends came together to remember the boy who would have turned 8 years old back in March.

News 12 reached out to the MTA for comment, but has not heard back.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."