Heat ADVISORY in effect for:
NYPD saves woman trapped under overturned boat near City IslandPosted: Updated:
Police say seven people were rescued after the boat they were on overturned near City Island.
News 12 is told the rescue unit successfully saved a woman from underneath the boat Sunday evening.
The NYPD's Aviation Air Sea Rescue 22, along with the Coast Guard, worked to find the woman who was stuck underneath the boat.
The woman was one of seven people who were found floating in the water around 5:30 p.m. on the Long Island Sound when their boat flipped.
When divers got to the scene, they quickly got into action to save those who were in the water.
News 12 is told 46-year-old Rafelo Castro found a pocket of air to survive while the operation was going on. However, she never made it out from underneath the boat.
News 12 is told Castro, who is from the Bronx, is currently recovering at the hospital.
- Police have released new video of a shooting that happened last month over a parking space.Police have released new video of a shooting that happened last month over a parking space.
- Un hombre de El Bronx se quitó la vida después que su perro fuera robado de un parque.Un hombre de El Bronx se quitó la vida después que su perro fuera robado de un parque.
- A steamy day is expected across the Bronx, with the potential for severe weather later on.A steamy day is expected across the Bronx, with the potential for severe weather later on.
- A family in Unionport found out their home has lead paint after a Housing Preservation and Development inspection.
- August is Immunization Awareness Month and the Centers for Disease Control say it's meant to highlight the importance of vaccinations for all people of all ages.
- The premiere for the sixth season of Starz's show "Power" was held Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.