Family, friends host vigil for mother, 10-year-old daughter tragically killedPosted: Updated:
Friends and family gathered Wednesday night at Union Grove Missionary Baptist Church to remember a mother and her 10-year-old daughter after they were tragically killed.
Police say Linda Manigault and her daughter, Heaven Ross, died Saturday in a possible double homicide and suicide attempt. They say the suspected killer, 32-year-old Ezort Stevens, was found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Police say Ezort, who was the mother's boyfriend, has been preliminarily charged with criminal possession of a firearm and is recovering in the hospital.
MORE: Memorial placed where Tremont mother, daughter found dead
MORE: NYPD: 10-year-old girl, her mother killed by longtime boyfriend
Attendees say they've been left heartbroken with unanswered questions. They say Manigault leaves behind three other children who were not injured.
Those who knew Manigault and Ross say they were very involved with the church. Ross was a member of the ministry's dance group, while Manigault was a leader of the church's teen ministry.
Friends say she loved three things - her children, her church and God.
On the day they were killed, News 12 is told the two were supposed to attend choir practice but did not show up.
- Police say a 23-year-old man was shot in the hip when another man fired a gun at a group of people in Longwood Monday.
- This week's workout comes from Donna at Lifetime Athletic Club. News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen learns some moves that incorporate strength training and yoga.
- In honor of the first U.S. patent for a waffle iron on August 24, 1869 - today we celebrate National Waffle Day!
- The Parks Department hosted a drive-in movie at Orchard Beach Friday night, a last hurrah for many before school starts in less than two weeks.
- More than two months after a Bronx man was killed in a hit and run, his family has yet to hear any updates about the case.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- The premiere for the sixth season of Starz's show "Power" was held Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.