Police ID man shot after allegedly threatening 2 officersPosted: Updated:
Police have released the name of the man they say threatened to shoot a police officer in Highbridge Sunday.
NYPD Chief of Department Terence Monahan said the suspect's name is Ronny Cole, and he has a criminal background.
"Ronny Cole has eight felony convictions. Five violent felony convictions, including three armed robbery convictions, conviction for a gun. He's been in jail since 1990, and was released in April of this year," says Monahan.
Police say they approached Cole around 7 p.m. They say he appeared to be breaking into the rear window of a BMW that was parked across from 1093 Summit Ave. Investigators say Cole claimed it was his own car, but when he was unable to show the right keys for it, police began to arrest him. That's when the struggle began.
"What you hear quite clearly on it is as they're struggling, the suspect says, 'I have a gun' he curses and he tells the officer he's going to die. Moments after, you hear the shots go off," Monahan said.
Monahan said there is body cam footage, but only the audio is available because the camera was dislodged and pointed in a different direction during the altercation.
Police say a loaded 9 mm gun was recovered at the scene. The man who was shot was taken to NYC Health + Hospitals/Lincoln where News 12 is told he is in stable condition.
- A man was found dead Sunday morning of an apparent homicide in Clason Point.A man was found dead Sunday morning of an apparent homicide in Clason Point.
- Police say a 26-year-old man was fatally shot in Clason Point, and investigators are now looking for the shooter.Police say a 26-year-old man was fatally shot in Clason Point, and investigators are now looking for the shooter.
- Police say they're searching for a suspect who put a man in a chokehold and stole $200 from him at a Pay-O-Matic in Norwood.Police say they're searching for a suspect who put a man in a chokehold and stole $200 from him at a Pay-O-Matic in Norwood.
- Police say a man was slashed at a Longwood subway station Saturday night.Police say a man was slashed at a Longwood subway station Saturday night.
- Police say a man was shot and killed in Fordham Friday night.Police say a man was shot and killed in Fordham Friday night.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
Looking for some excitement this summer? Check out some of these thrilling and extreme roller coasters, all located in the tri-state area.
- Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.
- A driver jumped a sidewalk and crashed close to a creek in Castle Hill, sending two people to the hospital.
- Familia de Eric Garner pide que el NYPD que castigue más oficiales de policías involucrados en la muerte de su familiar.
- Felony battery charges dropped against Chris Brown from 2017 incident in Florida
- World Mosquito Day was first established in 1897, when the link between mosquitoes and malaria transmission was discovered. How do you protect yourself from mosquito bites?
- You may like to eat adventurously, but how much do you know about different delicacies from around the world?