Firefighters put out 2-alarm fire in Tremont apartment building

Posted: Updated:
TREMONT -

Residents are back in their Tremont apartment after firefighters put out a two-alarm fire Saturday morning.

Officials say the fire happened on the fifth floor of 808 East 175th St. around 5 a.m. Saturday.

Residents in the building credit a neighbor for saving their lives. They say the neighbor went around knocking on everyone's doors to wake them up and tell them to get out of the building.

This neighbor told News 12 he started to smell smoke when he got home in the morning. He says that's when he woke up the others and called 911.

The FDNY quickly responded and were able to get the fire under control just before 7 a.m. No residents were hurt but one family's cat died in the fire.

Residents are back inside except for one woman whose apartment was heavily damaged.

Residents say they believe the fire was due to an electrical issue in the building.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."