Rebuilding The Bronx
News12 New York
Where to Watch
Download the App
Local
Crime
Weather
Taking Action
beWell
The East End
Crime Files

Man accused of attacking MTA worker recommended to mental facility, not fit to stand trial

Anthony Nelson was brutally attacked at a Bronx subway station nearly three years ago.

Elly Morillo

Jan 9, 2025, 5:21 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

Transit workers packed the court house in defense of one of their own on Thursday.

Anthony Nelson was brutally attacked at a Bronx subway station nearly three years ago.

Since then, Nelson has faced his accused attacker, Alexander Wright, countless of times in court, with a pursuit of justice.

"At some point in time, as a system, we should get the protection we deserve," said Nelson.

After a $500 bail and two skipped court appearances, a judge ordered that Wright be transferred to a mental facility.

"We're moving in the right direction. We're not at a standstill anymore. We believe that all of the moving parts are going where it needs to go right now," said TWU Local 100 Vice President Robert Kelly.

Nelson tells News 12 he hopes that his calls for justice help prevent another attack like this from happening.

"I feel like at some point, when is the city going to sanction the New York City transit system?" asked Nelson.

It is unknown how long Wright will remain at that facility or when he will return to court.

More Stories

More From News12

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices