Rebuilding The Bronx
News12 New York
Where to Watch
Download the App
Local
Crime
Weather
Taking Action
beWell
The East End
Crime Files
crossbxexpyprojectthumb

Cross Bronx Expressway Bridge project suspended

The "Five Bridges Project," a proposed $900 million initiative, has faced numerous obstacles and a good deal of pushback for over two years.

Zoe Cosgrove

May 18, 2026, 4:44 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

New York State Department of Transportation City Regional Director Erik Koester says the Cross Bronx Expressway Five Bridges Project has been suspended.

The "Five Bridges Project," a proposed $900 million initiative, has faced numerous obstacles and a good deal of pushback for over two years.

Officials say the five elevated bridges along the expressway are over 70 years old and in need of upgrades, which the project would provide.

Critics of the project, including local elected officials and organizations, argue the project would worsen air quality in an area that already deals with pollution and high asthma rates.

Koester says the NYSDOT has been listening to feedback from the community and "significantly scaled back the project last year, eliminating elements that the community did not agree with while adding new elements at their request." He says they did not come to an agreement on how to advance the project

The NYSDOT will not release a final environmental assessment of the project, and it will be suspended, Koester says.

NYSDOT will continue to monitor the conditions of the bridges and make repairs when necessary.

News 12 has reached out to local activists for comment and is waiting to hear back.

More Stories

More From News12

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices