Rebuilding The Bronx
News12 New York
Where to Watch
Download the App
Local
Crime
Weather
Taking Action
beWell
The East End
Crime Files

Bronx charter school closure leaves teachers without pay, families searching for answers

What should have been a joyful time for teachers and students looking forward to summer break is now filled with uncertainty.

Jodi-Juliana Powell

May 21, 2026, 5:39 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

After more than 25 years in Claremont, the Harriet Tubman Charter School is closing its doors, leaving teachers worried about lost paychecks, health insurance and retirement funds.

What should have been a joyful time for teachers and students looking forward to summer break is now filled with uncertainty.

Kiara Tarver, who has taught at the school for 10 years, says she is now scrambling to find another job.

"It's not that easy to get a job in the summertime because a lot of schools don't really start their direct pay until September," Tarver said.

Many teachers at the school chose to spread their salaries over 12 months instead of 10 so they could continue to receive paychecks during the summer. But with the school closing, some say they may not receive money they already earned or keep their health insurance coverage.

"The health insurance is basically like the same amount of unemployment," Tarver said. "So, it's like we would have to basically struggle to pay the insurance."

Tarver says she is especially worried about losing health insurance after receiving a kidney transplant from a fellow teacher within the last year. She says she has doctor's appointments twice a month, but now she does not know how she will pay for them.

"I need to find one I can afford because I can't go uninsured," she said.

A state report lists several financial challenges facing the school, including expenses continuing to exceed revenue, resulting in a nearly $2 million loss. The report also cites a failure to pay into the teachers' retirement system.

"A lot of people that are retired is saying that they're not getting their payout," Tarver said.

The closure is also leaving parents searching for new schools before the next academic year. Barbara, whose granddaughter is in first grade, says this will now be her third school in three years.

"Charter schools are very limited around here, so it's difficult to get in," she said.

The school is set to close at the end of June. So far, there is no word on what will happen to the building.

More Stories

Top Stories

01:58
Screenshot 2026-05-21 172502

'Somebody help us.’ Claremont shooting injures teenager and strikes ambulance

01:47
F Umbrellacast

Rain ends as The Bronx sets sight on a damp and cool Memorial Day Weekend

00:56
Screenshot 2026-05-21 172632

6 injured in early morning Riverdale high-rise fire

01:43
Screenshot 2026-05-21 172745

Investigation continues after woman found dead under Cross Bronx Expressway

02:03
bronxschoolclosingCM_2026-05-21-17-23-48

Bronx charter school closure leaves teachers without pay, families searching for answers

01:51
521MAMDANIFIFA_2026-05-21-12-58-10

NYC partners with NY and NJ Host Committee to secure 1,000 affordable World Cup tickets

00:18
43243a51-6ff1-4af6-b5d1-4444f5b6afd6

Man charged with attempted murder, accused of shooting another man in the chest in Fordham

00:32
brickrobberynewthumb

Brick-wielding robber attacks man in The Bronx

00:17
0521briarclifffuneralservices_2026-05-21-16-41-10

Loved ones mourn woman who died in Manhattan manhole fall

00:30
BXWALDOMEJIAARRAIGNMENT5212612P_2026-05-21-13-01-38

Bronx man indicted for 2025 murder of teen waiting for school bus

00:35
TrumpdoesntsignAIorder0521_2026-05-21-16-43-18

Trump delays artificial intelligence order over concerns it could harm the AI industry

00:34
521BXguntrafficking_2026-05-21-06-41-12

Four men indicted in Bronx firearm trafficking conspiracy

01:42
Screenshot 2026-05-20 144933

School bus full of kids falls into sinkhole in Van Nest

00:23
rosedaleavestabbingthumb

Man stabbed in the torso, slashed in the face in Soundview

00:39
Screenshot 2026-05-19 194220

Bronx man accused of raping 12-year-old girl allegedly sent her sexually explicit Snapchat videos before the attack

01:19
521rebuildingthebronx_2026-05-21-06-18-05

Lincoln Hospital receives national award for lung cancer screenings

02:01
disabilityprogramcutsCM_2026-05-20-22-18-10

Disability advocates warn Independence Care System closure could be ‘life‑changing’

Stabbing investigation

65-year-old man stabbed in the back in Morrisania

01:55
orchardbeachpavillionreadyCM_2026-05-20-17-27-58

Locals celebrate reopening of historic Orchard Beach Pavilion

02:23
bxpdpatrolssplitCM_2026-05-20-17-27-30

NYPD to add 200 officers as The Bronx splits into two patrol boroughs

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices