HEAT ALERT

Relentless heat lingers through the weekend in the Bronx; possible pop-up thunderstorms

7 injured in Mott Haven fire

Seven people were injured in a fire at the Mitchel Houses in Mott Haven Sunday morning. Officials say a burning mattress in the ninth floor hallway of 225 Willis Ave. led to several units being damaged

News 12 Staff

Apr 26, 2015, 9:18 PM

Updated 3,345 days ago

Share:

Seven people were injured in a fire at the Mitchel Houses in Mott Haven Sunday morning.
Officials say a burning mattress in the ninth floor hallway of 225 Willis Ave. led to several units being damaged at around 1 a.m. It is not yet clear how the mattress caught fire.
The flames were under control just before 3 a.m., according to authorities.
Elevator service in the building has been shut off and the stairs leading up to the ninth floor are covered in water.
Cindy Hurtado and her family live on the 17th floor. She says her family was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital for smoke inhalation.
Fire officials say seven people in total were taken to St. Barnabas, also for smoke inhalation.
A NYCHA spokesperson says that residents are being let back into their apartments. There is no word on whether the ninth floor is still closed to tenants.


More from News 12