Bronx mother, children in waiting for emergency transfer after apartment deemed 'too dangerous'
A Bronx mother says NYCHA told her she needs an emergency transfer because her apartment is "too dangerous to live in," -- but a week later, she says they still haven't found her a new apartment.
"Holes in my kitchen wall. Mold in my bathroom. My wall is about to fall in in my room," says Shaunquilla Dark. "This is not the way I want to live."
Dark has lived in the same NYCHA apartment in Soundview for more than five years with her kids.
"All four of my kids have asthma. The oldest keep getting sick and has to go to the hospital for her asthma," she says.
But now, her daughter is pregnant and with a grandchild on the way, she's very concerned.
This is not the first time News 12 has been to her home in Soundview. She has called News 12 numerous times since 2019 asking for help.
But instead of providing answers to her, she says NYCHA told her, "The super and my caseworker is on vacation."
She says last week, a worker inspected the apartment and told her the apartment was beyond repair and that she needed an "emergency transfer."
Until she hears back from NYCHA, Dark and her family have no choice but to live in the unlivable conditions. NYCHA has yet to respond to News 12 on the situation.