Cable fire explodes manholes, creates fumes in the Bronx

Smoldering power cables sent manhole covers flying in the Bronx while fumes sent two people to the hospital Thursday. Firefighters went door-to-door near 173rd Street and Hoe Avenue to check for carbon

News 12 Staff

Oct 7, 2006, 2:58 AM

Updated 6,443 days ago

Share:

Cable fire explodes manholes, creates fumes in the Bronx
Smoldering power cables sent manhole covers flying in the Bronx while fumes sent two people to the hospital Thursday.
Firefighters went door-to-door near 173rd Street and Hoe Avenue to check for carbon monoxide. They found dangerously high levels at Habibi?s Deli on Southern Boulevard. Workers say the fumes caused the owner to faint and led to two other people receiving treatment. Although the deli was officially closed, employees had a hard time keeping customers out because the doors were open to vent fumes.
Con Edison says the below-ground fire caused smoke to seep to the surface. Loud booms could be heard as the manhole covers flew off. The utility says power was largely uninterrupted, but residents say they wanted better communication on the incident.


More from News 12