Ceiling collapses after tenants say management failed to fix bathroom leaks in Bedford Park
A family in Bedford Park was left dealing with a big mess in their home after their bathroom ceiling came crashing down.
The De Jesus family says that there first was a leak, and then suddenly the ceiling crashed down. Their bathroom was left covered in water, Sheetrock, plaster and mold.
They couldn't use the bathtub or even the toilet.
The apartment on the Grand Concourse is home to Janet De Jesus, her disabled husband and 1-year-old grandson. They say they're upset and frustrated.
Janet De Jesus says it isn't the first time it happened. She says there was a prior leak in the bathroom that was covered in plaster, and says that's why this happened again.
While News 12 cameras were there, a man came to fix the damage. The building super offered an explanation, saying there was just one leak that would be fixed and covered with Sheetrock.
But the De Jesus family says putting Sheetrock over the mold and damage just isn't enough.
.News 12 reached out to the landlord of the building for comment but has not yet heard back. The Department of Buildings said it has not received any 311 complaints about the apartment -- but the family says they did submit a complaint.