Couple left homeless after Grand Concourse fire receives good news
A couple left homeless in the Grand Concourse apartment fire earlier this month finally received some good news Thursday.
Angel Nieves and his partner had just moved to the Bronx from Massachusetts last month when the fire broke out on Sept. 3 at 1454 Grand Concourse. They had to break windows in order to escape since their hallway was not an option.
The couple said they could no longer live there because of the fire damage, but their apartment was not included in the partial vacate order provided by the Department of Buildings. Therefore, they were not able to take advantage of the Department of Housing Preservation and Development long-term relocation.
However, News 12 learned that after the HPD conducted its own inspection, they included their apartment on the vacate order.
New 12 was told by an HPD spokesperson that they can bring their documents in Friday and will be eligible for relocation.
They said the key was to remain positive through the whole ordeal.