DA in Brooklyn drops rape charges for 5 teens

The Brooklyn district attorney is dropping charges against five teens accused of gang raping a woman in a Brooklyn playground last month. District Attorney Ken Thompson announced Wednesday the charges

News 12 Staff

Feb 25, 2016, 6:18 PM

Updated 3,011 days ago

Share:

DA in Brooklyn drops rape charges for 5 teens
The Brooklyn district attorney is dropping charges against five teens accused of gang raping a woman in a Brooklyn playground last month.
District Attorney Ken Thompson announced Wednesday the charges will be dropped because the accuser has recanted her story and is now refusing to cooperate with prosecutors. 
The woman initially claimed the five teens had come up to her and her father in Osborn Park, chased the man away with a gun and sexually assaulted her. 
The District Attorney says the investigation uncovered inconsistencies in the woman's story, including a sexual encounter she had the same night with the man she called her father.
One of the teens had also taken a cellphone video of the lude act in which the woman allegedly consents to sex.
Thompson says he will be working with the woman to make sure she gets help. 
The charges are expected to be formally dropped next week.


More from News 12