FDNY: E-bikes caused fire to erupt at Stop & Stor in Sunset Park
FDNY officials said e-bikes caused a fire Sunday afternoon at the Stop & Stor in Sunset Park.
According to FDNY, the fire at the storage facility on 63rd Street started after 12 p.m.
The first three FDNY units on the scene had to cut open the metal door to get into the building and there was heavy smoke inside.
Once inside, they found three e-bikes on fire, close to 300 e-bikes and dozens of lithium-ion batteries piled up inside two storage units.
The fire caused significant damage, and it took dozens of firefighters to extinguish it.
By the time fire crews emptied the units, the street was filled with piles of e-bikes and batteries.
The batteries that were still on fire or hot when they were taken out of the storage unit were put into barrels full of water to ensure that they would not reignite. Once they were fully cooled, another team took them out of the barrels to dispose of them safely.
The Stop and Stor website says that flammable materials are not allowed in storage units.
The FDNY said one first responder was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.