Flames tear through apartments in Bedford Park building, 1 hospitalized
An early morning fire in Bedford Park has sent one person to the hospital Thursday.
Fire crews battled the blaze in a six-story building on Parkview Terrace and East 196th Street.
News 12 is told the fire started around midnight inside one of the apartments.
CitizenApp video captured fire crews working to put out the flames.
The fire is believed to have torn through the first and second floor of the building. The windows of the two floors shattered completely.
No word yet on what sparked the flames, but officials say it started on the first floor.
The FDNY tells News 12 that five people were injured in the flames, but only one person was taken to the hospital. The others apparently refused medical attention.
The building's super, who lives on the fifth floor, told News 12 he had to take his child to the hospital because the smoke was so thick. He also says they managed to get everyone out on time.
The fire remains under investigation.