'Gun violence discriminates.’- Gov. Cuomo issues executive order to combat gun violence across NY
Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared gun violence in New York a disaster emergency during a news conference on Tuesday.
Cuomo says an executive order issued Tuesday will provide necessary resources to combat the issue across New York.
The governor says New York’s current spike in gun violence began last summer, after COVID-19 kept many young people out of school.
“Gun violence discriminates,” said Cuomo.
Cuomo says New York will commence a border war against illegal guns. “Illegal immigration isn’t killing Americans, illegal guns are killing Americans,” said Cuomo.
This is the first step in a comprehensive plan Cuomo outlined composed of seven key areas -- all with the aim of quelling the gun violence surge.
The key areas are:
- Treat gun violence like the emergency public health it is;
- Target hotspots with data and science;
- Positive engagement for at-risk youth;
- Break the cycle of escalating violence;
- Get illegal guns off the streets;
- Keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people;
- Rebuild the police-community relationship