Man wrongly convicted of 1975 slaying goes free

<p>A Bronx man was set free Wednesday after spending more than four decades behind bars.</p>

News 12 Staff

Jul 11, 2018, 9:49 PM

Updated 2,149 days ago

Share:

A Bronx man was set free Wednesday after spending more than four decades behind bars.
A judge found 58-year-old David Bryant was wrongly convicted in the 1975 slaying of 8-year-old Karen Smith.
Bryant's attorney says two federal courts ruled in favor of his client's release after forensic evidence showed his blood did not match what was found on the young girl, who had been raped and killed.
"We don't feel good about it," says James Smith, the victim's older brother. "It's in God's and the court's hands now."
Bryant will return to court Sept. 18, when prosecutors are expected to decide whether to retry the case.


More from News 12