Chemical spill injures multiple people at New Rochelle YMCA
A chemical spill injured multiple people at the New Rochelle YMCA Friday morning.
A hazmat team was called to the facility on Weyman Avenue around 7:15 a.m.
New Rochelle Fire Chief Andrew Sandor tells News 12 that the head of maintenance was putting chlorine into the pool but accidentally used hydrochloric acid.
"It caused a reaction— a vapor cloud occurred, exposing several people,” Sandor says.
Authorities say 11 people were taken to the hospital with respiratory injuries
Firefighters set up a decontamination unit outside the building.
The YMCA was shut down for the rest of the day, but officials hope to reopen Tuesday.