Nonprofit helps residents in need after Bronx explosion displaces families
A woman is helping families in need after a gas explosion in the Bronx.
Lynee Corry runs the nonprofit Giving Friends and knows a thing or two about having nothing—she was homeless two decades ago.
The gas explosion happened at 1522 Paulding Ave. Nine people and a firefighter were injured in the explosion.
Multiple children were among the injured, including two who were hurt critically. The property owner is now facing violations for illegal gas work.
The DOB says its plumbing inspectors found that gas piping, fittings, valves, water lines and waste lines for the use of laundry washing machines, gas-powered dryers, and a hot water heater for the laundry, had all been illegally installed in the ground-floor garage area.
“I could not be where I am without the help of others and I know that and appreciate that and this is so beyond paying it forward,” said Corry.
News 12’s Justine Miller talks with the struggling families and how they are recovering after the explosion.