Officials: Boy playing with lighter started fatal BX blaze

A great grandmother is dead because a boy playing with a lighter started a raging blaze in the Bronx Saturday, fire officials say.Responders were able to save 67-year-old Carmen Davila from 1136 Croes

News 12 Staff

Apr 29, 2007, 5:47 PM

Updated 6,238 days ago

Share:

Officials: Boy playing with lighter started fatal BX blaze
A great grandmother is dead because a boy playing with a lighter started a raging blaze in the Bronx Saturday, fire officials say.Responders were able to save 67-year-old Carmen Davila from 1136 Croes Ave., but they say she succumbed to injuries at Jacobi Medical Center.
"I couldn't do nothing. I was nothing. I wish I could have gone into the basement to get my mother, but I couldn't," the distraught victim's daughter, Marian Davila, said.
Witnesses say at least seven people jumped from the second and third floors, but no one suffered serious injuries.
The Davilas say out-of-town relatives were visiting and preparing for a birthday party when the fire broke out. The family is now planning a funeral instead of a celebration. Neighbors plan to honor the victim by lighting candles.


More from News 12