Space heater to blame for fire that injured several people at NYCHA building
More than 100 firefighters battled flames that ripped through a NYCHA apartment building on University Avenue Wednesday morning.
News 12 is told eight people were sent to the hospital after a space heater overheated, sparking flames that lit a bed on fire.
The flames rose from the second to the fifth floor of the building.
Janice Lynch told News 12 the fire started in her sister's apartment, saying her younger sibling woke up on a bed of flames because her apartment rarely has heat.
"Every time I visit her it's always cold, the house is always cold," says Lynch.
She says they lost some adopted family members, two cats, Roxy and Chucky.
"They were beautiful kittens and they're going to heaven now," says Lynch.
Officials say three people were sent to the hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries. Five other people suffered minor injuries.
Those who live in the building say they are sick of NYCHA's neglect and that they don't want to become one in a number of cases against the housing authority.
"I already don't have a mother, father or brother. I have my little sister out here in the cold because her landlord doesn't want to put heat and hot water in their house," says Lynch.
News 12 reached out to NYCHA for a statement. The housing authority says the investigation is ongoing.