Yonkers Police Department mourns the death of 24-year sergeant in an on-duty car crash

Officials say the sergeant was killed in a multivehicle crash on Tuckahoe Road at the Sprain Brook Parkway overpass in Yonkers around 3:30 p.m.

News 12 Staff

Dec 2, 2022, 12:20 PM

Updated 571 days ago


The Yonkers Police Department is in shock and mourning after the death of a 24-year veteran of the force in an on-duty car crash Thursday.
Officials say Sgt. Frank Gualdino, 53, a supervisor assigned to the traffic unit, was killed in a multivehicle crash on Tuckahoe Road at the Sprain Brook Parkway overpass in Yonkers around 3:30 p.m.
Yonkers Police Commissioner Christopher Sapienza says a 16-year-old resident of Yonkers, driving with only a learner's permit, was speeding on Tuckahoe Avenue eastbound and lost control of the BMW that he was driving. 
Video shows that car slid across a couple lanes of traffic and into the westbound lanes, striking the unmarked car that Gualdino was driving and a Bee-Line bus. 
"This a 16-year-old kid driving without a license and, as a result, someone has died," Sapienza said.
Officials say the sergeant was the only person in the police vehicle and the teen was the only one in the BMW.
Gualdino was taken to Jacobi Medical Center with critical injuries and was later pronounced dead.
Police say the driver of the BMW was also taken to a hospital in critical condition, and the operator of the bus suffered injuries that were not considered life-threatening.
Officials say several of the approximately 30 passengers on the bus were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Several officers from the Yonkers Police Department lined up outside the trauma unit at Jacobi Medical Center flashing their lights for several minutes, to say goodbye to their fallen brother.
His body left the trauma unit in a slow procession of squad cars.
Tuckahoe Road was shut down for about 10 hours for the investigation but has fully reopened.
Gualdino was due to retire in August of next year. He is survived by his wife, daughter and son.

A memorial has been set up at the spot where Gualdino died. Family and friends gathered there on Friday to mourn his loss. 
The next step in the investigation is to gather surveillance video from surrounding businesses so police can piece together a timeline of what happened prior to the accident.
Police are also looking into whether there are any other contributing factors that led to the crash.  
Sgt. Gualdino's body was brought home to Yonkers Friday night, where a procession was held. Dozens of people lined Park Avenue and saluted as a motorcade led Sgt. Gualdino's body into Whalen& Ball Funeral Home.
Dozens of officers also escorted Gualdino's family to the crash site on Tuckahoe Road so they could lay a wreath in his honor.

More from News 12