Fire officials: Space heater sparked Concourse Village fire; nearly 60 displaced

Fire officials say an electrical space heater sparked a fire on Saturday in Concourse Village that has left nearly 60 people without a place to call home.
The three-alarm fire tore through several buildings around 3 a.m. on East 163 Street. 
The American Red Cross wants to make sure people know how to safely use electrical heaters:
  • Always place the heater on the ground, not on any furniture
  • Make sure it’s plugged into a safe outlet
  • Place them on a ceramic or tile floor, not on a rug or near bedding
The Red Cross also says to never use a stovetop or oven to heat a home.