Bronx resident's bathroom ceiling collapses after leak

While many spent Thanksgiving with friends and family, one Bronx resident spent his holiday cleaning up a collapsed ceiling.



Jahid Shabazz says he got a call about a leak in his bathroom ceiling at 125 East 168th St., but the situation was much worse.



"I called the fire department, they came, they cut the water off, then as we are cleaning up my lady is in there cleaning up the bathroom and then the ceiling continues to fall on top of her head," he says.



Shabazz says that family member was then hospitalized after she had chest pains and shortness of breath.



He says that the Thanksgiving holiday made it tough to contact management.



"Nobody is there so hopefully somebody answers tomorrow," he says. "I am going to go by there tomorrow, so we will see what happens."



News 12 also reached out to building management and has not yet received a response.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."