Broken steam valve kills 2 toddlers

Two young sisters who received serious burns from a radiator at a shelter in Hunts Point Wednesday later died, officials say. 

 

Scylee Vayoh Ambrose and Ibanez Ambrose, 1 and 2 years old, were rushed to Lincoln Hospital from the homeless shelter at 720 Hunts Point Ave. around 12 p.m. with burns on their faces and bodies, officials say.



News 12 is told that a valve on the radiator malfunctioned, allowing steam to spew out and burn the girls. The city Department of Buildings issued the shelter a gas connection violation last month. The shelter also has had more than two dozen other violations issued.



Neighbors say they heard a loud boom and the parents screaming. The girls lived with their family in one of the building's five units used as shelters by the Department of Homeless Services. Officials say they will immediately relocate the other four families living in shelter units at the building.



A friend of the Ambroses says the family often complained of issues in the shelter that went unfixed.



Mourners have set up a memorial outside with candles and balloons.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."