Family happy to be alive after fire

The flames and smoke that engulfed a Briggs Avenue home in Bedford Park Tuesday have left the Castillo family devastated, they say.



"I thought of everything that we had, how hard we worked for everything we ever owned, our whole life was in that house," says Corannie Castillo. "There's not a single thing left, and it's really sad, but I'm just happy that my family is alive and well. That's the most important thing to me."



An electrical issue caused the fire, according to investigators. It displaced several families.



The Red Cross is helping at least five families put their lives back together. The Castillos, who say they just have the clothes on their backs, are now living in a hotel at the Hutchinson Metro Center.



The community has come together to help the families by donating food and clothing.



 


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."