Community groups call for action after deaths of 2 toddlers
Neighbors and community groups came together in Hunts Point for a vigil for two toddlers that died earlier this month.
The two small children, Ibanez and Scylee Ambrose, died due to a radiator malfunction in a Hunts Point apartment on Dec. 7.
The community group's message to the public is that many landlords are indifferent to the needs of their tenants. They say it's a danger for residents that have to suffer in inadequate housing conditions.
Neighbors of the Ambrose family say the building at 7-20 Hunts Point Ave. has had dozens of violations against it.
Officials say the accident could have been prevented if only a tiny valve inside of the radiator had been replaced.
The Ambrose family lives in cluster site housing. This is a portion of apartments rented by the Department of Homeless Services that is good for keeping families off the street but isn't always the safest for living.
"This building was inspected not too long ago. Nov. 2 to be exact, and with that inspection no one noticed all of these violations?" says organizer Dalaeja Foreman.
The Department of Housing has fined the building countless times for fire hazards and broken glass. Many residents are now afraid for their own lives and have turned off their radiators.
Many organizers are calling for the landlord to be charged with murder.