1 injured as fire scorches Carter Ave. apartment

An apartment fire on Carter Avenue left a 70-year-old woman injured and many of her belongings scorched Monday evening.



Firefighters rummaged through a mess in the apartment that included piles of trash mixed in with personal belongings as part of the investigation into what sparked the flames.



They say the mess inside the apartment made it difficult for rescuers to operate.



The injured woman shared the apartment with another woman who was not home at the time of the blaze, according to officials.



The victim was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital. Officials have not released her condition.


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."