4-alarm fire rips through apartment building on Grand Concourse

A total of 54 families have been temporarily displaced after a four-alarm fire ripped through their apartment building early Wednesday morning.



Authorities blocked off the area outside 1055 Grand Concourse, where the fire began at around 4:20 a.m. Fire crews say the blaze began on the fifth floor and quickly spread to the roof, destroying five units on the top floor.



The fire marshal says the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring in a space between the building's roof and ceiling.



Fire officials say three or four firefighters suffered minor injuries, and that one woman who lives in the building had trouble breathing. She is in stable condition at Jacobi Medical Center.



The Red Cross is on site helping the displaced families. News 12 is told that some of the families will be staying at a gym in Mullaly Park.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."