Best of the Bronx: Artist creates glass portraits of iconic peoplePosted: Updated:
Harjeet Singh Sandhu has been working with mosaic glass tile in the Bronx for 27 years.
His business, Boston Signs, has produced mosaic pieces of iconic figures like former president Barack Obama, Mahatma Ghandhi and Baba Farid.
Sandhu says the piece he is working on now, a mosaic portrait of Mahatma Ghandhi, will take him nearly 7 months to complete.
He immigrated to the US in 1985 and worked at a gas station before getting a job at the tile shop across the street.
Sandhu says that is where he fell in love with glass tile, and since he already had a master’s degree in Fine Art from back home in India, the rest is history.
The Bronx artist has created 7 mosaics since opening his shop in 2011 and has sold several to Indian art collectors for thousands of dollars.
However, Sandhu says it's not about the money. He enjoys creating the art.
- Police say a Bronx priest was arrested on drug charges in Westchester Sunday.Police say a Bronx priest was arrested on drug charges in Westchester Sunday.
- The search is on for the man police say robbed a Dollar General at gunpoint in Wakefield.The search is on for the man police say robbed a Dollar General at gunpoint in Wakefield.
- Happy National Let's Laugh Day! Have you ever laughed so hard you cried?Happy National Let's Laugh Day! Have you ever laughed so hard you cried?
- The newly formed marketing club at Mount St. Ursula Academy is making some history this Women's History Month.
- A new exhibit is giving New Yorkers an up close and personal look at how James Bond movies were created.
Best of The BronxMore>>
- One Bronx girl has been inspiring others with her poetry, even getting the attention of Lin Manuel Miranda and former first lady Michelle Obama.
- A reggae band on the rise in the Bronx is getting the chance to perform side-by-side with artists like Nas at an upcoming music festival.
- A toy designer from the Bronx is working on creations that aim to inspire the next generation of Bronx residents.
- With songs streamed millions of times on multiple music platforms, one Bronx native’s music is reaching people all over the world.
- A Bronx photographer known for documenting the early years of hip-hop is working on a book that will showcase some of the best spots in the Bronx.
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- With spring just days away, Newsday's Jennifer Berger shows News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen some hot toys that will be sure to warm up your spring!
- Let's see some green! Share your photos of St. Patrick's celebrations and parade pics with us! You could see them on News 12 or News12.com.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!