Mayor denies corruption allegations leveled by real estate developer

Posted: Updated:
THE BRONX -

Mayor Bill de Blasio held a press conference Saturday to respond to explosive allegations leveled at him last week by real estate developer Jona Rechnitz, the government's star witness in the trial of the former head of the nation's largest municipal jail guard union.

Rechnitz told jurors in the trial of ex-union boss Norman Seabrook Thursday that he bought access to the mayor with big contributions to his 2013 campaign.

Rechnitz, 34, of Los Angeles, said de Blasio visited him after he promised to contribute between $50,000 and $100,000 to the Democrat's campaign for mayor. He said he ultimately contributed $100,000.

Mayor de Blasio offered a staunch denial of those allegations during the press conference.

He called Rechnitz a liar and said he wished he had never met him.

Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."