Several BX parishes forced to shut down, merge with other churchesPosted: Updated:
Several Bronx churches have closed down for religious services.
Our Lady of Pity was forced to stop services due to the financial burdens of repairing and maintaining the building. According to Welcome2TheBronx.com, the house of worship was deconsecrated, which means the blessing upon the religious institution was removed.
Since 2010, more than 100 parishes have either closed or merged as part of the New York Archdiocesan plan called Making All Things New.
About 600 people that attended St. Roch in Mott Haven were affected by the initiative. They were forced to merge with the nearby St. Anselm's Church.
"It was depressing and it's still depressing," says Aida Berrios, Parishioner of St. Roch's. "We still have a lot of people that can't go to the other church because they can't walk there."
St. Pius the Fifth's Church and St. Joseph's Church were also forced to merge with other churches.
Decisions to merge a parish can be based on a decline in available priests or parishioners, according to the Archdiocese. The buildings that are no longer used after parishes merge could be put up for sale. Parishioners also have the opportunity to appeal decisions to merge.
- Police say a body was discovered unresponsive and wrapped in a blanket in University Heights Friday night.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- A community in Throgs Neck is celebrating a decision by the state to shut down a plan for a drug treatment facility that people had been protesting for years.
- Emergency responders found a chaotic scene Friday at a Harlem building that was on fire while three people lay dead of gunshot wounds in an apparent murder-suicide.
- The New York Blood Center is calling for donors as the region's supply hits a record low.The New York Blood Center is calling for donors as the region's supply hits a record low.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 The Bronx wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBX.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!